Yay! The day before the Science party I found Alka Seltzer tablets, which means we could make mini lava lamps. It was a huge success and you can easily make one too. (Tip: we added in some glitter too!).
Flask or bottle
Alka-seltzer ( you can use salt, but this works much better)
- Fill the flask most of the way with vegetable oil.
- Fill the rest of the flask with water. The water will sink to the bottom under the oil.
- Add a few drops of food colouring; your choice of colour. The food colouring is water-based, so it will also sink and colour the water that is now at the bottom of the flask.
- Break an alka-seltzer tablet into a few small pieces, and drop them in the flask one at a time.
- Watch your lava lamp erupt into activity! As the reaction slows down, simply add more alka-seltzer.